Thursday, July 8, 2010

Five Years Ago . . .

"Five years from now, is it really going to matter?"  "In five years, you probably won't even care what these people think."  "Where do you want to be five years from now?"

It seems like I've heard these questions pretty frequently, but does anyone actually recall the situations that prompted them when they actually are five years down the road?  I can understand that most friends and parents and advisors have a person's best interest at heart when they ask questions about the future.  Put things in perspective, look at the big picture.  Move on quickly, or try not to let it hurt your feelings, whatever the case may be.  Still, I wonder how often things are radically different for those people after five years, or how very much the same.

In pondering over all of this last night (both guys were peacefully sleeping -- the larger one snoring and the little one sprawled out more than you would think humanly possible for someone so small), I realized that, five years ago:
  • I was living roughly 1,700 miles from my current home.
  • I was living with five roommates, three of whom I haven't spoken with in at least three years.
  • I was happily pursuing a degree in philosophy. (This was before I was unhappily pursing a degree in philosophy, and then in love with my English major.)
  • I was in an unhealthy relationship.
  • I wasn't licensed to drive!  It's sad, but true.  Unfortunately, I didn't have the excuse of being too young for a license either.
  • I was unaware of my husband's existence, at least in the particular sense.
  • I used to cry thinking about the possibility that I would never have a child because of endometriosis.

My, how the tides have turned!


Where were you five years ago?

2 comments:

  1. My brain just exploded at this notion. I think I have to steal this idea for a post of my own, if that's okay with you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go for it! It's crazy though, isn't it? People tell you to think about things through the lens of "This will/won't matter in five years," but then you forget about it once you're there!

    ReplyDelete