Thursday, August 5, 2010

A Breath of Fresh Air

Last night I woke up around 1am for the second time this week to take out my contacts after falling asleep early.  My husband and I have started conking out at the same time as Dinobaby, but it's impossible for me to just stay asleep with contacts in, unbrushed teeth, and the knowledge that I still haven't taken my daily vitamins.  As a result, I've been getting up, getting ready for bed, and wasting/enjoying time on the internet before crawling back into bed.

A friend had shared this video on their facebook page last night, and it absolutely must be shared again.



The description on the video reads, "An elderly couple walked into the lobby of the Mayo Clinic for a checkup and spotted a piano. They've been married for 62 years and he'll be 90 this year. Check out this impromptu performance. We are only as old as we feel, it's all attitude. Enjoy! They certainly do."

If that doesn't make you smile, your heart may be a few sizes too small.  In a world where the elderly are ridiculed, forgotten, and deemed unimportant (or even a waste of resources!), this video was a welcome breath of fresh air.   I feel like the sweet couple's performance itself is a fantastic analogy for what we can learn from our elders, or as most people seem to say, "old people".

Their piece began slowly, quietly.  They didn't announce their performance but simply played a few keys.  It was enough to spark the attention of a few listeners and when they had their small but captive audience, they surprised everyone with playfulness, fervor, and talent.  I wish I could hug both of them!  "Old people" have so much to share, if only we are willing to listen. 

My grandparents were married for nearly 70 years when they passed away, one less than a year after the other.  My Nana used to tell me of their great, enduring love for one another and how it all began.  "She remembers everything," my Grandy would say.  "I can't even remember what I ate for breakfast!"

She was born in a little Texas town in 1915.  He was five years her senior and from an equally small town several miles away.  By the time they met, he was the manager at the local five-and-dime general store.  He was tall, with an open face and green eyes.  She was absolutely beautiful with dark hair and eyes and a quick wit to match.

My Nana swore that it was love at first sight.  She told me that the first time she saw my grandfather, she prayed, "Lord, I will do anything you want, I'll go through anything you put in front of me, if you just let me have him."  What a prayer!  It was answered and they were married in 1933.

If only loving, life-long relationships like theirs were the norm instead of the exception.  I can only hope that I will remember to bring such good humor and childlike spontaneity my marriage and to love with the same deep, enduring love as they did.  Everyone loves a good love story, but they're so much better when they're in real life!

No comments:

Post a Comment