Monday, August 2, 2010

An Aesthetic Theory

I was talking with my husband the other night as we were getting Dinobaby ready for bed and I remembered a random theory that I came up with once.  At the time, I thought it was pretty brilliant.  My husband wasn't so sure.

"Women are considered 'ugly' they look more masculine.  When men are considered to be ugly, they tend to look more like animals.  You know, like monkeys or horses.  More feminine men aren't considered ugly, but just pretty guys.  It doesn't work the same way for women."

"How old were you when you thought of this?" asked my husband.

"In middle school," I said. 

"Hmm."

I'm not sure if he asked because he thought my theory on aesthetics was intriguing or silly.  Personally, I think it holds true, at least in what the world considers to be beautiful.

In a similar vein, I had a philosophy professor whose girlfriend felt that every person could be categorized as either a bird or a rabbit.  I'd argue that horses should be throw into the mix, but she may be on to something.  I would likely be a rabbit.  How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment